Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Memory Remains

Yesterday , 25th - i went for the rock show at IIT , it was an awesome show , no college / institution comes close to hosting a show like the IITians do it . simply superb and ROCKING.

Today was our Republic Day and remembering all the fallen for the peace and freedom we have now . Salute to All of you , who did so and continue to do so day in night out . And time to show India's military capabilities in the parade . i caught glimpses of the whole thing and have to say , every year it seeems better than the previous . Arms race is a very sensitive topic as it is the reason for most war n tragedies but man has always had the mentality of showing their might and arms race is one race where there will be no winner in the end.

Also , today met up with old college friends and i mean old friends ;) ... this was a big meet and a meet after 2 long years , around 25 of us . the fun part was some of my friends whom i used to hang out , party , study night outs had married , some even had kids :) , oh my god im fuckin old ... when ur friends have kids , u know ur getting old , trust me . the look on everyone's faces was a kodak moment and many of us couldnt stop laughing , cracking up ... joking abt Seniors having Junior ( kids ) so early and since i was the juniormost ( in college ) , technically whose my father / mother n stuff :D . Also a moment to reflect of a dear friend of ours who had passed away couple of years back. i had so not wanted to bring the topic up at the meet but one friend brought it up and the silence that followed was Loud. it has been over 5 years since that day and we all remembered and missed him .
This the Poem i had written in 1999 .

* was a real friend when one needed one

1+1 = 2, but with him it still was 1

Hanging out in class or outside was always fun.

His antics would make a clown serious

A real genius, the man was practical

Aced all exams, theory and practicals.

Never did he let us know about his dark side

How we never knew, emotions only a man could hide.

Deep into our friendship, I knew there was problem

And it was evident day by day; something was not right inside him.

So finally the day came of confrontation.

He was asked one simple question by all of us.

*, are you doing something or are you having some serious issues

First he smiled then he shouted, I don’t give a shit about any one of you.

As we saw him leave, I wondered what was wrong

I lifted my head and he was gone

We tried to contact him to no avail

Every attempt of ours, everyone failed

Time passed by, he left college and his rented home and we accepted we really Failed.

Then that fateful morning, the phone rang too early to my liking

At the end of the line was a stranger talking

Do you know this boy called *, I said yes

Well he is in hospital right now, what happened to him he addressed.

I couldn’t believe my ears; he had overdosed on some drug

How I wished I had him right now so I could hug

I called our friends and we reached the hallowed place

On a bed in a room, there he laid

His relatives were there, next to him crying loudly, his eyes wide shut.

We were just couple of hours late, he had sadly passed away

Our world turned and it still hurts me today.

How we could have done more, so much more to our abilities

* was gone, we never really took him seriously.

So this poem I write in memory of you man

I know u can hear it, I know you can

*, we are sorry you were in the end alone

You don’t know how sad and broken we are,how we wished if u had just called anyone of us on the phone.

If I had the powers, the hour glass I would turn.

As the sand trickles down, your memories still there with us.

So *, I hope you can forgive your friends for we never got to tell you

How special you meant to us in our hearts and in our mind, it’s overdue

As I end this little prayer we all are saying together

Holding our hands for you, your hand we miss and we miss you brother.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home