Friday, February 04, 2005

Destiny knocked and I Let Her In

Jim Morrsion Once Said

There are things known and things unknown and in between are the doors.

This door(s) is highly uncertain and u never ever know when it opens to let the known or unknown enter your life to shock you ( for good / bad ).

Something took place today which took me so offgaurd and by surprise that I thought I need to get CPR from a Baywatch Babe to bring me back to life. Just another same old office day like any other day , sippin coffee on a cold morning in mumbai ( yes folks , it cold down here ) ... I get this call from my boss , Please come right away to my cabin . Uh oh, where the hell did I screw up? The walk of uncertainity seemed quite long. Boss tells me good news man , it seems one of the projects you had handled around 8 months back somehow had reached Malaysia , Asian Headquarters and they were impressed with it . That project I remember was a success and had boosted sales of the particular drug unlike anything before and to everyone's liking. For me, if u ask, it was just another proj like the ones I have handled before, nothing special. However, folks in Malaysia thought otherwise (yeah baby), it seems they have decided to use my whole research as a Model to use it on similar lines in 4 South East Asian countries.

I was then told to immediately start working on the project right away as there's gonna be a teleconference in the evening. I had handled quite a no of proj's after that so much so I had trouble finding the file [ hope I didn’t loose it :-( , at last found it :-) ] and then after working on it and breaking my head trying to recollect minor details of the proj( 8 months is way too long ) all day , headed for conf room 4 ( the elite huge room ) and there it was , my first international teleconference . On the other end, director market research and director marketing in Malaysia. A 45 minute experience to remember.

At the end, they asked me MY opinion as to whether I thought this same research could be implemented and if so, what all changes are needed to it, for each specific country. I paused for a moment to think ...

1. My proj being used for 4 countries, hello ... someone pinch me.
2. This thing is HUGE in terms of everything for the company and myself ;-)
3. I have to decide right now as the final outcome would be dependent on my decision, whether my answer is a simple YES or No and trust me, I was nervous like hell .

After 30 mins of consultation with the people in the office, The answer - Hell Fucking Yes ( i mean it was just a Yes at that moment ) to which they said OK , go ahead with it and good luck.

What this means is I have now to work my lazy ass off and do everything possible given the tons of data I am going to receive from market research groups of the 4 countries and rip the whole thing down to countable slides and present the whole thing finally to the respective country heads to implement it in their region , not bad eh ;-)

Always be prepared and take very project SERIOUSLY and be prepared for anything to happen (for good or bad) and be ready because you never know when destiny knocks unknowingly and out of the blue.

PS: After this is done, Boss I think we need to talk about my Salary ;-)

9 Comments:

Blogger V said...

Our once long haired rocker is a multi national business analyst!! :D

Ditch NM, W/H/S calling :mg:

PS : EVERY project SERIOUSLY, not VERY. tsk tsk, typos in your project might can your arse ;-)

February 04, 2005 9:49 AM  
Blogger geetu said...

WAY TO GO!!!! WOWEEEE!!!
vishy is rite.. forget the indian b schools ;) u r goin international now !!!! 'work ur ass off' seems like an UNDERSTATEMENT... !! all the best.. !

February 04, 2005 12:35 PM  
Blogger Lady Z said...

That's awesome dude! :D.We have an international rocker with us now ;)

February 04, 2005 2:33 PM  
Blogger . said...

Awesome!! All the best!!!!

February 04, 2005 6:49 PM  
Blogger Puneet said...

thanks guys , but like they say dont count ur chicks before they hatch ;-) ... thanks to all for ur friendly wishes :)

February 04, 2005 8:47 PM  
Blogger V said...

Counting chicks already ? Now thats planning ! ( family planning ? :mg: )

Arindram C might disagree :mg: :mg:

February 05, 2005 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like reading it!! :mg: Great Puneet,as u told us about this, I made it a point to read this post of urs first thing today!! Great going pal!! :-)

Cheers, Simba

February 07, 2005 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweeeeeet work man! Teleconferencing with the head honchos! :mg: :gm: :gm: . Now thats talent I say.. long haired (?) rocker @ nite and business analyst by day! You sure will make an interesting app!

Cheerios,

Allwin - PG :D

February 08, 2005 1:13 AM  
Blogger Puneet said...

ahhhh ...lets see whats instored in the future ;-) pg

February 08, 2005 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home